An Experiement in trying to simplify my life



Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pumpkin, Pumpkin and more Pumpkin!!!!

I LOVE Pumpkin!!!  This year I have tried out some new pumpkin recipes and I am flat out addicted. It all started with a magazine talking about Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Creme Frappachino. I was so excited because it doesn't have coffee in it. So I zipped over to the nearest Startbucks and bought a small one for $5. The addiction was immediate and I knew I couldn't afford to buy one every time I wanted one. So I began searching for copy cat recipes. I tried out a recipe I found online (Peanut Butter and Peppers ) and ended up with my own. Part of that is due to my own food allergies and the rest is up to my personal tastes. So here it is my version of Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Creme Frappachino:

Pumpkin Cream Shake: (1 serving)
1 c. 2% milk
2 heaping TBS pumkin puree
2 TBS sugar
2 tsp pumkin pie spice
1 big handful of ice cubes
spray whip cream

Put everything bu the whip cream into a blender. Crush the ice. Pour into a glass and top with whip cream.

I made my own pumpkin pie spice, the stuff in the store is too expensive for so little.

Pumpkin Pie Spice
4 TBS ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp ground cloves

Mix everything in a small jar with a tight sealing lid.

I made pumpkin pie pancakes and pumpkin pie french toast. I put these in the freezer in individual servings. I also made cinnamon syrup to go on them.

Cinnamon Syrup (See Jane in the Kitchen)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
In a saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium heat stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk.

Pumpkin Pie French Toast (5 dollar dinners) [I altered the original recipe to suite my tastes. Below is what I did.]
3 eggs
3/4 c. milk
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 c. canned pumpkin
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
I mixed everything together and lightly coated each slice of bread. Fry over medium heat. Make sure you spray the pan every time you put a new slice of bread on.

Pumpkin Pancakes (twopeasandtheirpod) [I again slightly altered ithe original recipe to suite my tastes]
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
4 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix everything together and make pancakes as usual. I also tossed some chocolate ships into a few pancakes. Very yummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment