An Experiement in trying to simplify my life



Friday, December 4, 2015

Art Journal: Day 4 acrylic paint and shaving cream background

After a few days of art journaling I've discovered my big challenge/focus is the backgrounds. I've got this huge list of techniques that I want to try. Part of me feels like once I get those techniques down the the rest will fall into place. Well probably not, but I can focus more I what I want my journal to be and say if I'm not stressing over what the background says.
Like with tonight's page. I really enjoyed the process and thought it was turning out great. Everyone who has seen it thinks it's great. But I think I screwed it up. I k ow there aren't any mistakes in art journaling. But I'm a long way off from silencing that inner critic.
My page tonight took a very different direction than I thought it would. Especially with the colors I used in the background. Every year the city puts on "River Glow" down at Berg Park. Local school and church choirs come out to sing carols, put on a nativity scene and generally spread Christmas cheer. The park crew lines the path with luminarias and light fires in the pits along the river.
I went to "River Glow" while my background dried. As I left I thought about what I would do with the page.I'm not sure I ever came up with a plan, but what came out was definitely not what I expected.

Materials used:
Shaving cream
Apple Barrel Acrylic paint in yellow, flag red and marsh green
Glass pane
Ruler
Watercolors
Paint brush
Ballpoint pen

 I used a glass pane I got out of a dollar store picture frame for easy clean. Pick up the pane and rinse it off in the sink. Easy clean up.
 I used way more shaving cream than I needed. I think light layer that maybe got smoothed out a bit would work fine. I got the shaving cream at the dollar store as well.
 Splashed around a bit of paint
 Gently swirled paint with the non-brush end of the paint brush, being careful not to over mix the colors so it didn't turn muddy. I then laid the page on top of the paint and shaving cream. Carefully pressed it down into the paint. Then gently pulled it out of the shaving cream.
 I used a ruler to gently scrap off the shaving cream and paint. I didn't get it all off and tried to go over it again . I scraped down the page instead of across again do the swirls got muddied up a bit.
The paint sort of created a path. I used Brown and yellow Watercolors to create a rendering of the luminarias and a couple of trees. I did a little labeling with a simple black ink ballpoint pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment