An Experiement in trying to simplify my life



Sunday, December 13, 2015

Art Journal: Days 12 & 13

Yesterday I got to hang out with my brother, sister-in-law and friend. We tooled around Orem/Provo doing whatever and just generally enjoying each other's company. That evening my friend and I drove up to Salt Lake City to see Michael McLean's "The Forgotten Carols". It was an amazing evening. The play was moving, even more so in person than on DVD. Anyway we got back to Orem very late so my page had to wait until tonight. I actually managed to do two pages tonight. Only somehow I got out of order. Oh well.

Materials used:
Rubber stamp
Distress Ink in Black Soot and tea dye
Gesso
Glues stick
Words cut from old dictionary
Play bill

 This picture has nothing to do with my page. It is just me meeting Michael McLean after the show.
The background was done beforehand. I cut out the parts I wanted from the playbill. Then glue them on and used the distress ink to warm the page up a little bit by just dabbing it across the page.
 I then cut out words from the dictionary that I wanted to go with to play Bill as a reminder of the evening. I don't know if you can tell what they say but the words are forgot, carol, Christ, and Savior.

Materials used:
Photo copy
Packing tape
Water
Homemade alcohol ink sprays
Sharpies in green, red and purple
 I've watched several YouTube videos on how to do transfers with packing tape. I thought I'd give it a try tonight. I covered the image that I wanted with the packing tape. Erupted across the image to make sure the ink stuck to the tape.
 And then placed the paper in some water and let it soak for just a few seconds.
Once I could see the water had soaked through the paper I pulled it out and began to rub gently removing the paper from the tape.
 I think it turned out pretty well. I turn the tape up a little bit so that it would fit in my book. There was one spot where I didn't get the taped overlap. So it was a little tricky getting it tomorrow right when I placed it on the page.
I wanted to add just a little bit of color so I used a couple of sharpies to color in the tulip on the backside of the tape. What was really cool is that despite being in the water the tape with sticky once it dried. There was only one corner where I had to add a little glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment